Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Bull Shit Party, Get It?

I'm biased. I know. So bear with me.

I don't write about politics very often -- I'm not very good at it and I usually just end up getting huffy and weird. I feel compelled, though, to write about the perceived mindset of the common Republican voter.

I watched Rudy "I'll Exploit 9/11 Until the Day I Die" Giuliani's speech to introduce Sarah Palin with mouth agape. I don't understand the voter that listens to that speech (it was full of fear-mongering, fact twisting, sarcasm, etc.) and doesn't yell "HORSESHIT" at their TVs. I don't understand the voter that feels like living in the United States means you have to live in fear of "our enemies." I don't understand the voter that thinks that Americans are so far superior to the rest of the world that they don't think basic diplomacy and staying out of everyone's underwear will make all of us safer. I don't understand the voter that likes to make decisions based on fear instead of logic.

Then again, I don't understand anyone who doesn't believe in equal rights for all.

There is certainly snarkiness on the Democratic side. I know. I don't agree with that, either. I guess my issue is while the Dems seem more intent on making it known that they're willing to fiercely debate these issues, the Republicans seem intent on belittling the ideas of half the country.

I can't tell you how much bullshit that is. I find many Republican stances compelling, I do. My parents have raised me to be sympathetic toward conservative fiscalism. I truly believe the wealthy shouldn't be punished for making more. I don't. Doesn't make sense to me. But I'm a social liberal, through and through.

Jesus was a social liberal.

Buddha was a social liberal.

Everyone should be a social liberal. Fuck, I can't even really justify the "liberal" part of that phrase. What's liberal about rights for everyone in this country? It's just the way it should be.

The right to bear arms is the most misinterpreted Amendment in this country, but many conservatives feel that guns should be lightly regulated at best. Nobody studies social trends and politics simultaneously, it seems.

So Sarah Palin.

Like Bush, she seems like a woman I'd enjoy having a few drinks with. I bet she'd be a laugh riot. But are we really supposed to believe that the emporer of mighty Alaska is really more experienced than Obama? Shit, I don't even really care, to be honest. But since the Republicans are making experience just a big fucking deal, is anyone really listening to anyone saying the governor of fucking Alaska of two years has more experience than Obama when it comes to 90% of the things the President of the United States needs to know?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

See, I'm getting huffy and weird.

I didn't like her tone. I didn't like her dismisall of half the fucking country. She summed it up nicely when she compared hockey moms like herself to pit bulls. Hmm, OK, let me try to get into the mindset of the voter that feels like it's fuck-me-sideways brilliant to put someone that brazen in the White House.

By the way, I've personally heard fierce supporters of this McCain-Palin ticket say things like, "it's called the White House for a reason."

I'm serious. And no, I don't believe that all conservatives are racists. I don't. Not by a long shot.

But there's so much misguided fear out there pushing for McCain-Palin it's making me afraid. That's not good, either. I've never felt like if the election goes in one direction and not the other we're all totally fucked. I know a lot felt like that four years ago, but I really didn't. Now I am. Now I'm convinced that we really have to do something drastically different and, more importantly, something smart.

Their fear is making me fear.

*Sigh*

Like I said, I'm not great when it comes to politics.




"Raspberry Beret"
Prince

2 comments:

Shell said...

I can't believe what LITTLE air time this whole McCaine-Palin thing is getting over here. I really feel left out and uninformed about all American politics right now, so I am glad to read things like this from you.

I'm going to need to spend a few hours reading up on the subject, and then I'll get back to you with a solid opinion. But, from my limited knowledge right now, I have to agree with what you are saying here.

Unknown said...

I have kind of come to expect a certain mix of confusion and dismay if I ever listen to a GOP speech. The thing that makes me actually worried is not what the politicians say, but what voters say about the politicians.

When asked why she supported the decision to make Palin VP, one RNC attendee said, "I like her because she makes me feel like anyone could be president." I kind of liked the idea of a president who was smarter than me (like...Rhodes' Scholars) taking charge of a situation I had no clue about. But those days are long gone.

I was similarly discouraged by what I saw of the VMAs this weekend. Did you catch any footage, by the way? Jordin Sparks got on stage, and before she announced her category, smugly said, "I just wanna say that it's cool to wear promise rings because some of us don't want to be SLUTS." Probably defending the Jonas Brothers from Russel Brand.

I can't even talk about how freaked out I am about all of this because then I start leaving really long-winded, incoherent comments on other people's sites...NEVERMIND.