Monday, July 14, 2008

Our Final Fantasy Condolences

I'm up late mainly because I've been reading about all things E3. I'm excited that I don't have a job for at least one day, seeing as I can watch all of the press conferences tomorrow.

Yes, I'm excited about press conferences. I'll definitely have to be up in time for Sony's conference, but that shouldn't be much of an issue. Nintendo probably won't do anything too surprising, though I've read a rumor about a sub-$100 DS that's even smaller than the Lite. That would be cool. I think my mom officially owns my old DS. I'm sure I could get it back, but from what I understand she's really digging it. Maybe I can convince them to get me one.

Oh, to be young again.

I just have to be able to play the remake of FFIV. It's out on the 22nd, I believe. I still have a copy of The World Ends with You that I haven't been able to play. I hear good things about that. Even from what's his face at Zero Punctuation.

I guess the big news of the day (for me, at least) is the fact that FFXIII is no longer a PS3 exclusive. I own both the PS3 and 360, so it's not like I have a horse in this race, but I feel bad for the PS3. MGS4 sold like hot cakes at launch but I don't think it has staying power. I think it's a forgettable exclusive for PS3. Besides, what's stopping Konami from porting the latest installment to Microsoft's console in a year? They've done it in the past. I could probably write a novel about what's wrong with MGS4. It's not a bad game, but there are that many problems with it. Kind of makes it a special game. So many things wrong but still enjoyable.

Anyway, I think Little Big Planet looks awfully good for a PS3 exclusive, but I'm worried about the console as a whole. We should find out more about Killzone 2 tomorrow, but PS3 is hurting for a big-time exclusive. FFXIII could've been that exclusive. It should've been exclusive. I have a soft spot for playing FF games on a Playstation console. It's just a natural thing. XBox doesn't scream "JRPG" to me. Playstation seems so perfect for the hardcore gamer to spend 100+ on JRPG goodness. The latest trailer definitely shows more, too. Maybe not as much as I had hoped, but the only glimpse of the FFXII world outside of Rabanastre, the beach, and the Salikawood happened very close to its release back in 2006. 360 can have Gears of War 2. They can have Halo 1-25. Playstation and FF are PB & J.

Two games I don't give two shits about: Fable 2 & and Too Human.

One game I give twenty shits about: Fallout 3. My goodness. My only issue is people are gibbing over a headshot? Maybe that's how Fallout and Fallout 2 rolled, but it feels dated to me. Maybe they'll tone it down before release. I stopped "oohing and ahhing" over gibbing (unless it's grenade-related) about the time Unreal Tournament was released.

UPDATE: I think I realized that the demo I saw had the perk, "Bloody Mess," activated. That's why an enemy gibbed when shot in the head. Makes sense.



"Second Best"
Barenaked Ladies

No comments: